Can you believe that Edible Schoolyard New Orleans has been serving students for 15 years?
Kindergartners who first drew their vision of what a school garden could look like are now…*GULP*…20 years old! What a journey it has been, and what an impact outdoor education, school gardening, and healthy cooking has made on the worldview of our earliest students. Over the years students have learned to value themselves and others through hands-on connections to the soil, seeds, plants and flowers, resident schoolyard animals, and even the tiniest garden creatures who make their ecosystem viable for growing.
“When I see a worm, I let it do its thing. It just moves around if you pick it up. I hold it calmly, and if the worm stops squirming around in your hand, you can just put it down.” Da’Nyrie, 2nd grader
ESYNOLA classes not only provide direct access to fresh food and knowledge of how it grows but also create beautiful gardens that are safe spaces for social and emotional development and stimulate students’ curiosity and joy. One of our favorite quotes, by a student regarding the importance of edible education, continues to inspire us:
The fact that you are reading this indicates that you already know the importance of environmental and food education for all New Orleans children. Over the past 15 years, Edible Schoolyard New Orleans has supported those children who have been historically excluded from high quality hands-on learning opportunities due to racial and socioeconomic inequities.
Would you help us to continue this work for 15 more years?
We are launching our Fifteen in Fifteen monthly giving campaign to honor 15 years of creating joyful garden spaces that help children make healthy connections to food, nature, community and themselves. A monthly gift of at least $15.00 (or more!) will help ensure FirstLine students continue to make those connections and grow into happy, healthy adults.
Monthly Donors Are Awesome!
Monthly donors provide a steady revenue source to sustain our program. So many great reasons to become a monthly donor include:
- You contribute to the longevity of ESYNOLA’s nourishing, whole child approach to food and nutrition education and access.
- More of your money goes to helping the ESYNOLA mission, saving us some stamps and post office trips!
- You avoid the hassle of re-entering your details every time you make a new gift!
- Steady, predictable donations help us plan, sustainably augmenting what we raise from events like Edible Evening.
- You become part of a community of regular donors with long-term impact in a project you love.
- It’s easy to set up and cancel your monthly donation anytime.
It’s so easy!
- Head to esynola.org/donate
- Select recurring gift
- Enter your monthly giving amount, and date to process
- Continue to input your information, and follow the steps to give securely.
We appreciate your consideration of our Fifteen for Fifteen giving campaign, pledging at least $15 for 15 months. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Courtney Pate or visit our donation page.