Recipes: some Edible Schoolyard New Orleans favorites
Herbed Soda Bread with Homemade Butter
Just like you WISH Mama used to make.
3 cups white flour
¾ c. whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
variety of garden herbs
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Measure and mix all dry ingredients in bowl.
3. Measure out buttermilk. Make a well in the flour and pour in most of the buttermilk. Stir, adding more buttermilk if necessary. Add snipped herbs. Dough should be soft but not wet and sticky.
4. Turn out onto floured cutting board and knead just enough to bring dough together.
5. Pat dough into round loaf about 1 ½ inches high and put on baking sheet.
6. Cut a cross fairly deep into the bread all the way to the edges. This will help it rise.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes or until browned on top.
1. Add whipping cream to a jar with a pinch of salt. Close tightly.
2. Shake until thickens and then separates!
3. Strain the liquid (buttermilk!) off. Stir gently to squeeze off excess liquid.
4. Enjoy! Store in fridge if you don’t eat it all with your bread.