Recipes: some Edible Schoolyard New Orleans favorites
Rainbow Salad (Serves 12)
Orange carrots | Salad Greens | Purple Cabbage | Yellow and Blue Raisins| Yellow and Red Peppers | Red Beets
Make this salad to help kids identify the colors of the rainbow!
4 cups salad greens ( i.e. lettuces, mustard greens, kale, spinach)
½ head purple cabbage, sliced
2 carrot, peeled and grated
2 granny smith apple, cored and diced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large beets, (or 2 med) roasted, peeled and diced
1/4 cup mixed raisins (regular, golden, craisins)
1/4 cup vinegar
1 Tablespoon chopped Garlic
2 Tablespoons mustard
1 Tablespoons agave nectar or honey
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon ESY spice mix
- Slice cabbage as thinly as possible. Add to bowl with salad greens.
- Add grated carrot, diced bell pepper, diced apples and raisins.
- To roast beets: Rinse beets with water, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in a piece of foil, just enough to cover the whole beet. Bake in oven at 350 for 20-‐25 mins. Allow to cool. Remove foil. Use a paper towel to wipe off skin. Dice and add to bowl.
- Place all dressing ingredients into a jar. Shake well. Pour over salad ingredients.
- Toss ingredients and dressing together. Serve in a bowl.