Recipes: some Edible Schoolyard New Orleans favorites
Harvest Sweet Potato SoupThis recipe was a hit at Sweet Potato Fest 2013.
Category: Starters & Sides
4 large sweet potatoes
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 head garlic
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup cream
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Optional: cayenne pepper
1. Set oven at 400. Rub sweet potatoes in oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut the top off the head of garlic and rub it with oil, salt, and pepper. Lay sweet potatoes and garlic on sheet pan and roast until soft.
2. Heat pot with oil. When oil is hot, add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on low/medium heat until onions are soft and brown.
3. Add stock to pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Cut sweet potatoes in half and and scoop out flesh into pot. Add roasted garlic cloves to pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. With a blender or immersion blender, blend soup mixture until it is smooth. Add back to pot.
6. Add cream and spices.
7. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
8. Let simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!