Recipes: some Edible Schoolyard New Orleans favorites
5-Ingredient Granola BarWho needs those other 75 unidentifiable ingredients that are in most packaged granola bars?
Category: Healthy Snacks
1 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup creamy salted peanut butter or almond butter
1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, chopped
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
Optional: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, etc.
1. Process dates in a food processor until ground into small pieces.
2. Optional: Toast oats in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Combine oats, almonds, and dates in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Warm Honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat until well combined.
5. Stir and pour honey mixture over oat mixture, breaking up dates and mixing well.
6. Line an 8x8 pan or other small pan with parchment or wax paper. Spread granola mixture evenly into pan and press down firmly.
7. Place in refrigerator or freezer for 15-20 minutes or until hard.
8. Remove bars from pan and chop into whatever size you would like. Bars can be stored in the freezer to keep them for longer.